Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Um, did you know I veil?

Some of you may or may not know that I started veiling while at Mass nearly two years ago.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, some ladies cover their heads while in Mass and when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.  Often times it is lace, but I have used my infinity scarf (mainly because it stays no my head easier). 

Anyway, before I started veiling I really had no idea why some women did.  Honestly, I didn't give it much thought, until I did.  I'm not really sure when I thought about it, but I eventually did and quickly pushed it to the side.  For a long time (well over a year at least) the thought of veiling would come and go, but that was it.

Then the thought didn't pass so quickly, and the thoughts came more regularly.  Eventually I was at a Spanish Mass with on of my aunts; a lady came in wearing her mantilla veil with the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Several of the ladies wore veils, but that one definitely caught my attention.  I had never seen a veil so long and with so many colors, and I asked my aunt if she knew why some ladies wore a veil.  She said something along the lines of showing reverence.

Veiling was revealing itself more and more.  Some friends would mention it from time to time and it caught my attention.  I noticed a parishioner that I didn't know at the time, but later she became a good friend veiled.  Occasionally a Facebook post would be in my feed.  My mom and sister and I had some conversations about it.  I would make comments about being insecure or self-conscious about wearing a veil.  And eventually my sister started veiling.  I was CLEARLY ignoring a call.

I began to do some research and found a small blog post containing reasons she veils.  I can't find that post now.  I also asked the only friend I knew who veiled why she did.  Ultimately, most were feeling called.  I wasn't able find anything that said women must veil, but lots of supporting reasons why they should.  There is scripture supporting this tradition in First Corinthians.  My friend told me she wanted to connect with the woman of Jesus' era.  Also, form of reverence or reminder of the sacrifice that is happening on the alter during mass.



For lent in 2012 decided I would get over my own vanity and begin veiling.  I was insecure about it.  Actually, I still have moments of self-consciousness (which if I think about is a little arrogant, people are at church for God why would they care what's on my head?).  I chose respond to this call rather than personal conviction. Does that make sense?  During my "research"  I couldn't find any reason not to veil so I began veiling.  Jen at Conversion Diary is much more eloquent about veiling.

Recently a friend posted THIS about wearing a mantilla at church.  It is worth the read!!!  It brought to light some things I haven't considered.  (It's extremely humbling that sacred things are covered.)

I'm not really sure what my point was for this post.  I love authentic feminism.  I love the Church.  I love big T and little t traditions.  My love for these things grow everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment